When it comes to maintaining the efficiency and longevity of your Fujitsu mini-split air conditioning unit, regular cleaning is key. While it’s common knowledge that filters and coils need cleaning, the blower fan is often overlooked. In this step-by-step guide, we’ll walk you through the process of cleaning your Fujitsu mini-split blower fan, ensuring your unit runs smoothly and efficiently.
Step 1: Access The Unit
Begin by gaining access to the internal components of your Fujitsu mini-split unit:
- Disconnect the unit from the power source to ensure safety.
- Remove the front and top side covers of the unit. Start by loosening and removing the front cover screws.
- Extract the air filters and remove the screws holding the inner plastic cover in place, typically two on the right and one on the left.
- Gently lift the inner grill corners closest to the wall to detach and remove the top side cover.
Step 2: Remove Electrical Components
Locate the pipe and room temperature thermistor on the top right section of the unit. Remove these components along with the three ground screws and the control box.
Step 3: Separate The Coil From The Blower Fan
To access the blower fan, you’ll need to separate the coil from it.
- Unscrew the two screws on the left and right sides of the unit that hold the coil and blower fan together.
- Unscrew the fan motor cover.
- Disconnect the field wires from their terminal block and ensure they do not touch any other parts of the unit.
Step 4: Unclip The Bottom Cover
Unclip the bottom cover from its tabs or brackets to reveal the blower wheel. Also, disconnect the drain line and dismount the draining pan.
Step 5: Disconnect The Blower Wheel
Separate the blower wheel from its motor. Before reinstalling, ensure the pan is clean, drained, and dry.
Step 6: Clean The Blower Wheel
Using a non-acidic cleaning solution, thoroughly clean the blower wheel. Non-acidic solutions are preferred for their environmental-friendliness and reduced corrosiveness. These solutions effectively clean your AC unit without compromising its components. A common dilution ratio is 1 part solution to 3 parts water.
Step 7: Rinse And Dry
Rinse the blower wheel with warm water to remove any residue from the cleaning solution. Proper rinsing prevents mold growth. Allow the blower wheel to dry completely before proceeding.
Step 8: Lubricate The Fan Holder
Apply silicon grease to the fan holder before replacing the blower wheel. Silicon grease provides lubrication and insulation, protecting the fan from corrosion and high temperatures. It’s especially effective within a wide range of temperatures and serves as an electrical insulator.
Step 9: Reassemble The Unit
With the blower wheel in place and the fan holder lubricated, reassemble the unit in reverse order. Turn the unit on to ensure proper functioning.
Troubleshooting Your Fujitsu Mini Split Blower Wheel
While regular maintenance prevents many issues, sometimes troubleshooting is necessary. Here are common solutions to potential problems:
- Check and clean the air filter to maintain optimal airflow.
- Ensure the air intake grille and outlet ports are unobstructed.
- Confirm the thermostat’s room temperature setting.
- Keep windows and doors closed for effective cooling.
- Consider insulation for windows and doors to improve cooling efficiency.
- Assess the room’s occupancy and equipment for proper CFM capacity.
- Note that “super quiet” mode may reduce airflow.
Understanding Your Fujitsu Mini Split
Observe these nuances of your Fujitsu mini-split for a better understanding:
- Start-delay: The unit has a 3-minute delay mechanism after power interruptions to prevent fuse blowing.
- Noises: Dripping, slight squeaking, and sizzling are normal sounds due to temperature changes and auto-defrosting.
- Mist or steam: Cool mode may emit mist due to condensation, while heating mode’s auto-defrosting may produce steam.
- Weak airflow: Heating mode decreases fan speed to warm up, and the fan stops if the room temperature exceeds the thermostat setting.
Helpful Operational Tips
Understanding how your Fujitsu mini-split operates enhances your experience:
- Operation and Performance: The heat-pump principle is used, and additional heating devices might be needed in extremely cold temperatures.
- Auto-restart: After a power interruption, the unit resumes its previous operation.
Proper cleaning of your Fujitsu mini-split blower fan contributes to its efficiency and performance. Whether you prefer professional HVAC servicing or a DIY approach, this guide empowers you to maintain your unit for optimal comfort and energy savings. Remember to include blower wheel cleaning in your regular maintenance routine for a well-functioning Fujitsu mini-split system.