Air purifiers play a crucial role in maintaining indoor air quality, and IQAir filters are renowned for their efficiency. A common question that arises is whether these filters can be cleaned. The answer is yes, but the approach depends on the type of filter. In this article, we explore the cleaning process, considerations, and the importance of proper maintenance for IQAir filters.
Can IQAir Filters Be Cleaned?
IQAir filters can indeed be cleaned, but the method varies based on their washability. Pre-filters, typically washable, can be rinsed with mild pressure. In contrast, non-washable permanent HEPA filters should not be washed; instead, they can be vacuumed to remove debris. Regular cleaning can extend the filter’s lifespan, but it’s essential to understand that cleaning is not a permanent solution. Filters will eventually need replacement, influenced by factors like air quality and usage patterns.
How to Clean an IQAir Filter
Cleaning an IQAir filter involves a straightforward process:
- Identify Filter Type: Refer to the product manual to determine if the filter is washable or vacuum-only.
- Cleaning Washable Filters: For washable filters, remove them, tap off excess dust, and rinse under low to moderate pressure. Air-dry for at least 24 hours before reinstalling.
- Vacuuming Non-Washable Filters: Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to gently clean non-washable filters. Avoid high-pressure water or compressed air to prevent damage.
- Air-Drying: Ensure the filter is completely dry before reinstallation.
- Reinstalling: Put the filter back into the air purifier, following the correct placement.
- Resetting Filter Life: Reset the filter life on the control panel to track when the next replacement is due.
Considerations When Cleaning
Several considerations must be taken into account when cleaning IQAir filters:
- Identify whether the filter is washable or non-washable.
- Regularly inspect filters for debris accumulation and clean washable filters every 2-3 months.
- Adhere to guidelines provided in the manual or on the manufacturer’s website.
- Regardless of cleaning, replace filters based on the manufacturer’s recommended schedule.
Can You Wash IQAir Filters?
Washing IQAir filters is possible for washable pre-filters but not recommended for non-washable HEPA filters. Washing only removes larger particles, and over time, the filter can become clogged with smaller particles, affecting its efficiency.
Why Shouldn’t You Wash IQAir HyperHepa Filters?
Avoid washing HyperHEPA filters due to their delicate structure designed to capture ultrafine particles. Washing can damage the fine fiber structure, leading to tears and compromising efficiency. Moisture from washing can also swell the filter fibers, obstructing airflow and reducing filtration efficiency.
How Often Do You Need to Change IQAir Filters?
The frequency of changing IQAir filters depends on the type and usage. PreMax filters last 18 months, HyperHEPA for four years, and V5-Cell for two years with 10 hours of daily use.
What Is The Cost Of Replacing IQAir Filters?
The average annual cost for replacing IQAir filters ranges from $130 to $140 based on 10 hours of daily usage at speed 3. Actual costs may vary with usage.
How To Change IQAir Filters?
Changing IQAir filters involves a simple process:
- Unplug Your Air Purifier: Ensure safety by unplugging the purifier.
- Open Locking Arms: Press and pull the locking arms outward to access the filters.
- Remove Diffuser: Take off the diffuser to reveal the filter frames.
- Remove Frames and Bottom Frame: Extract the upper frames to access and remove the pre-filter.
- Extract The Pre-Filter: Carefully pull out the bottom frame and replace the pre-filter.
- Replace The Pre-Filter: Attach the new pre-filter, ensuring proper orientation.
- Reset Filter Life Counter: Use the control panel to reset the filter life counter.
In conclusion, cleaning IQAir filters is possible but must be done with consideration for the filter type and manufacturer’s guidelines. Regular maintenance, including cleaning and timely replacement, is crucial for ensuring the longevity and efficiency of IQAir air purifiers. By following proper procedures, users can contribute to a healthier indoor environment and maximize the performance of their air purifiers.